Boys and Girls Country of Houston
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Boys and Girls Country’s mission is to change the lives of children from families in crisis by loving and nurturing them in a Christian home, raising them to become self-sustaining and contributing adults. Boys and Girls Country provides a loving, stable, Christian home for children whose family cannot care for them.
Boys and Girls Country serves up to 88 boys and girls aged five to eighteen and 14-20 young adults in our College and Career program. Boys and Girls Country is located 35 miles northwest of Houston (www.boysandgirlscountry.org).
The CFO is responsible for all aspects of the financial operations for BGC. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the CFO leads key financial functions in support of BGC’s mission including accounting and budget, treasury and investments, contracts and legal matters, payroll and insurance. The CFO ensures that BGC has a sustainable financial function and the organizational infrastructure that will meet the needs, goals, and aspirations of BGC’s mission over time, and will contribute to organizational success. The CFO aims to improve systems and efficiencies, manage risk and advance strategic planning. The CFO serves as an active member of the Management Team helping to develop and implement BGC’s vision and mission.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build relationships with and advise the Chief Executive Officer and Management Team members on overall BGC planning operational strategies and decisions in conjunction with the Strategic Plan
- Ensure that accounting and financial statements are prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and that mandated reports are filed on a timely and accurate basis
- Oversee budget development, review and analyze financial performance and report to the Chief Executive Officer, Management Team, Finance Committee, Board of Directors, donors, and other key stakeholders as needed
- Oversee the timely monthly closing process and production of financial reporting, including departmental reports, monthly finance package, descriptive statements and other reports as necessary
- Oversee the PEO (G&A Partners) relationship and agreement in order to process payroll and employee benefits
- Manage the banking and cash management functions
- Ensure the successful completion of all financial audits and the fulfillment of external reporting requirements
- Supervise and develop assigned staff within the Finance department
- Develop and maintain appropriate financial internal control processes to ensure accountability and transparency of financial operations. Ensure and secure adequate risk management systems for the organization
- Effectively communicate BGC’s business objectives and financial results to multiple constituents including the Management team, Board of Directors, Finance Committee, foundations, and donors (potential and active).
- Perform all other duties as necessary and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field from an accredited university; CPA preferred.
- Minimum five years of financial management experience including significant “hands-on” experience with the day-to-day financial activities of an organization.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices, processes, and procedures of non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate operations in personnel supervision as well as recruitment and retention of key personnel.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written); strong organization and analytical skills; consistent attention to detail.
- Serve as member of the Boys and Girls Country Performance and Quality Improvement committee
- Experience with a non-profit organization preferred; ability to interact professionally with board members, staff and volunteers.